Friday, May 31, 2013

Books Blogs & Page Turners Issue #2

BBPT is a monthly meme hosted by Turn The Page where we rehash all our favorites from the month... books, blogs, and all things bookish! 




Books, Blogs & Page Turners - The books reviewed this month:
Trading Poisons ~ By Angel Lepire. Megan gave it 4 stars!
Simply Mine ~  By M.L. Gardner & Jane Carrington. Megan gave it 4.5 stars!
So Many Reasons Why ~ By Missing Johnson. Megan gave it 3 stars
Waiting For Martha ~ By Elly Grant. Megan gave it 3 stars
Lindsey's Choice ~ Laurel Peterson. Megan gave it 4.5 stars
What I didn't Say ~By Keary Taylor. Megan gave it 4.5 stars
Shattered ~ By Sandra Madera. Megan gave it 4.5 stars
Shredded~ By Karen Avivi. Megan gave it 5 Whopping Stars.... what a fantastic read about girl BMX riders!! 
Inseparable~(this review is almost done, but while started in May will probably not post until June 1st.) 


Books, Blogs & Page Turners - Manic Monday Winners:
Manic Monday Week #2 M.L. Garderder & Jane Carrington - Simply Mine
Manic Monday Week #3 Laurel Peterson - Lindsey's Choice
Manic Monday Week #4 Sandra Madera - Shattered
Manic Monday Week #5 Missy Johnson - Inseparable 


Books, Blogs & Page Turners - The blogs we crushed on this month:
Paper Fantasies  Hosted by Kelly Watt. I know I crushed on her blog last month too, but hey what can I say, I know what I like. So this month I particularly enjoyed Kelly's YA Epidemic #8: Everyone Loves An Average Girl. I think this happens a lot with books today, us writers tend to downplay the looks of our protagonist and make her plain and then when suddenly she is noticed by the steamy hot guy we all swoon. But it would appear that we are creating the opposite effect on our readers. After reading Kelly's post I thought back to my protagonist, Lexie - did I make her strong and confident or was she described as plain? While I didn't make her plain, I made her less showy than her sister or her best friends. She describes herself as pretty, but likes simplicity... a ponytail, jeans and t-shirt... hmmm, is this the same as calling her plain? This is what I love about Kelly's YA Epidemics and I mentioned this last month as well, it gives the other side of me, the writer, the opportunity to see what readers like you, do and don't like!! Thanks Kelly. 

Tangled Up In Books (formerly Perks of Being a Bookwork) Hosted by Sheri Boston. First I should say that I love her princess phase and the fact that she somehow finds a tangled picture to coincide with every post she puts up. It's fantastic! I actually crushed on two areas of Tangled up in Books this month, first Sheri's TTT - Books Dealing with Tough Issues and Her Swoon Thursdays. So the TTT, loved this one. I actually have either read or have them in my TBR, all of the books she listed. It also again made me think of my own writing. Harvest Moon deals with some really tough issues and as a newbie to the writing and blogging worlds, I feel like this area is becoming more popular. I love YA/NA books dealing with social issues or things that make you think. ooohh, makes me all giddy! As for her Swoon Thursday, I LOVE this. There is always something is a book I am reading that I want to share and I found this meme to be truly exciting and creative! 


Books, Blogs & Page Turners- Books up for review in June:
Okay, so I said last month that the Emi Lost & Found series would be reviewed in May, and I have read 2.75 of the 3 books, but was totally conflicted whether I wanted to review them individually or as one, so I waited.... and now it's too late to feature them in May. I will be featuring them first in June and I still have yet to decide if they will be one single feature or three individual features. Guess you will have to wait and see. Other great books we will be reviewing this month are:



 




Books, Blogs & Pager Turners - Other bookish news and recaps: 

And in other bookish news, the month of May was a very busy one. I spent very little time working on my own writing and worse, aside from the Manic Monday winners I read only three books... well this isn't completely true. I have read others... like the Emi books, as I already mentioned, but since they have they have yet to be reviewed, I guess they technically don't yet count. 

Angela had to take a hiatus, yeah, before she even started... lol. I know she mentioned in her about me section that we work together and the opening of our new cafe has been beyond brutal. Mix that in with all the commitments we have outside of work and we are simply overloaded. So until she officially makes her presence known, you get me... and I will keep on reading, reviewing, and blogging all about it!! 

I am hoping that the month of June will settle down enough for me to balance my reading/reviewing and my writing. My deadline for Winter Solstice is still set for late fall, so I need to figure out some time management without detracting from TTPBB, because I have become obsessed with book blogging! 

And finally, I am planning to do a couple of author interviews next month, starting with Karen Avivi, the author of Shredded! So stay tuned for all that is to come in the month of June!

We hope you enjoyed our first issue of Books, Blogs & Page Turners... Go ahead and leave us a comment, tell us your thoughts, share your favorites from the month of May!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment